I am so happy with the way these turned out last night! This is one of those recipes that I worked on one day, changed the next, and then practically rewrote in the kitchen as I was cooking. Most of my recipes tend to work out that way, actually.
Either way, my taste testers (husband and kids) and I all thought these tacos were delicious. And not as filling as you might think; or maybe we were just really hungry. 🙂
Hand-held comfort food, here you go:
1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, skin-on and diced
1/3 cup vegan butter
1/8 – 1/4 cup soy creamer
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons scallions, sliced thin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 flour tortillas
shredded iceberg lettuce
vegan cheddar cheese, grated
- Place diced potatoes in a medium pot and fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, approximately 20 minutes; Drain, return to pot, and mash to a chunky consistency.
- Stir in butter, half & half (start with 1/8c and add more to suit your taste), salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Fold in green onions.
- Fill each tortilla with 2 heaping TBSP of the potato mixture.
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add tacos 1-2 at a time, turning to cook to golden brown on each side. Place cooked tacos on a baking sheet and set in oven on the warm setting.
- Top with lettuce and cheese; serve warm.