The majority of the meals I cook at home lately are vegetarian and, on occasion, vegan. It’s something I’m experimenting with….
So, last night I tried out a recipe for beef kabobs, only I didn’t use beef. I bought the BBQ skewers by Gardein, rinsed off the sauce, marinated them according to the recipe, threw them on the grill pan, and watched as they smoked and sizzled just like real meat.
My husband knew what I was up to but we did not tell the teenager who thinks a meal isn’t complete unless some animal was slaughtered for it. I was amazed as I watched him eat two whole kabobs and everything else on his plate without even questioning it.
Here is the recipe I used:
1. Rinse skewers to remove the bbq sauce that comes on them; set aside.
2. Make the marinade: Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
3. Add the skewers and marinate approximately 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. Add a little more olive oil (or use non-stick spray) and heat on high.
5. Place the skewers on the grill pan, turning about every minute or so until they look good to you.