I’ve gone through a lot of chicken enchilada recipes over the years, most of which involved cream-of canned soups – which I now find disgusting. This one is different because there is not a single can of soup involved, and no chickens were harmed in the making of these delicious enchiladas.
I made these a few nights ago and they were practically inhaled by the entire family.
Here’s the recipe:
8 taco-size flour tortillas
2c cooked and shredded vegan chicken (recommend Beyond Meat strips)
1/4c onion, chopped
2c Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
4 TBSP butter
3 TBSP flour
2c chicken broth (used Better than Bouillon’s no-chicken base with water)
6oz. Greek yogurt
4oz. can diced green chiles, drained
1. Preheat oven to 350* and spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a skillet over medium high heat, add 1 TBSP butter and saute chicken and onion.
3. Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and heat in microwave (about 30-45 seconds).
4. Combine chicken and onions with 1c cheese.
5. Add 1/4c mixture to each tortilla, roll up, and place in baking dish.
6. In medium sauce pan, melt remaining 3 TBSP butter, add flour and stir until thick and pasty.
7. Add broth and whisk until smooth.
8. Continue cooking until mixture is thick and bubbly.
9. Remove from heat and stir in Greek yogurt and green chiles.
10. Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
11. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes.
12. Switch oven setting to Broil for 3-5 minutes. Watch to make sure the cheese is browning, not burning!