Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo with Fried Sage and Capers
All the creamy goodness you love in an Alfredo pasta made lighter by substituting traditional dairy with lighter, plant-based ingredients.
- 12 oz. fettuccine pasta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, divided
- 2 Tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 medium shallot
- 1 - 15oz. can pumpkin
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cashews
- herbed seasoning salt
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, reserving 1 cup of the water. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add sage and capers and cook until sage is crisp, 30 seconds or so. Remove sage and capers and place on a paper towel; sprinkle with salt.
- In the now empty pot used to cook the pasta, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and fragrant, 3-4 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, coconut milk, cashews, 1/2 of the fried sage leaves, crumbled, and the reserved 1 cup pasta water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the sauce until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste with the herbed salt.
- Add fettuccine to the sauce and toss to coat. Heat through and serve warm topped with the remaining fried sage leaves and capers.
Adapted from Purple Carrot.