Savory Stuffed Red Potatoes
I recently found myself with half a bag of baby red potatoes and no real plans for them. A few more days and they would go out with the trash. That seemed wasteful though and I’m trying to make more of an effort to actually use all the produce I buy.
Roasted corn and poblano soup was already on the menu so I decided to try these little potato bites on the side. The two dishes paired really well, which was a relief because the potatoes can take awhile to prepare. It’s a simple recipe but the scooping out of the potatoes (without tearing the skins!) is what is most time consuming. Worth it though.
* I used vegan substitutes for the sour cream and butter.
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
olive oil and sea salt
1. In a saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and boil until tender. The amount of time needed here will depend on the size of your potatoes. Mine were on the small side and I let them boil about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside to cool.
2. Cut potatoes in half and carefully scoop out the inside, leaving a little edge all around. Spray a little olive oil on the skin side of each potato and sprinkle with sea salt, to taste.
3. In a medium size bowl, combine the scooped out potato, sour cream, butter, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, green onions, and cheese.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly back into each potato skin and top with a little extra cheese.
5. Bake approximately 10 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.